Thursday, March 21, 2013

Getting ready for Kindy...

Looking at Homeschooling curriculum is sometimes enough to make your head spin. This first year is so critical that you don't want to make mistakes (but you will, and you'll fix and tweak it a bunch). I guess this is why so many of us second guess ourselves so many times. I belong to a few homeschooling groups and forums and sometimes I see these long lists of what folks are doing with their kindy kids and I scream a little on the inside. I don't know if it is because I wish I could or because I am thinking your kidding me right? I personally firmly believe that kindy is all about the 3 R's and anything else is just the icing on the cake. My youngest is going to start kindy this summer (we school year round) She is not yet at the age where I even have to report her "schooling" I have 2 years for that. Now by the standards of Public Schools she wouldn't be of age to start kindy for another year.

With that said when you have a 4 year old who begs to "do school" already knows all her numbers, colors, shapes, and letters by sight and sound. It is time to go in my opinion. The biggest issue I see coming down the pike is that her handwriting is just not there yet, and nor is she very excited about trying very hard.

As far as choosing a curriculum goes for kindy its not as hard as some make it out to be. If your a "seasoned" Homeschooling mom chances are you have tried a few things already.

#1 for me is choosing a strong phonics program. There are many to choose from. I personally didn't like   "How to teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons" I found it boring, my daughter didn't like and dreaded every time I pulled it out. Funny thing is I kept it just in case the next child in line would like it.
Seeing as my youngest is only 4 most of our phonics will be online or dvds. My children seem to respond better to this type of learning for phonics. Starfall.com is fantastic and we also have a membership to ClickNKids.com and let us not forget the wonderful leap frog dvds.

#2 Is handwriting. This is easy enough to do with out a fancy program. I know many folks love handwriting with out tears. I am sure its a wonderful program and I do like some of their concepts I just cant seem to shell out the cash for something I can do for free. So many handwriting generators, free worksheets, and resources on letter formation. I like the Zaner-Blosser style of writing, not a fan of some of the other styles.

#3 is Math. Math is pretty fun at this age. Lots of manipulative's, coloring, and so many games. It's another subject that you can pretty much do for free at a young age. We will be using MEP reception which is free in pdf form. We may decide later on to add in something to supplement with.

As I said everything else is the icing on the cake. We will do plenty of read-a-longs, she will sit in with her sisters on SOTW 2 just as she has sat in for much of SOTW1 this year. She will also sit in on Science, Art and Music. I'm not expecting her full cooperation by any means but hoping she matures more this coming year and is more willing to let me be the teacher lol.

2 comments:

  1. When my oldest was kindy age (she's 12 now) I remember feeling like I had to be doing SO much! But really I'm glad we kept it simple. Just 100 EZ lessons (I dont really care for it either and it IS rather dry and boring, but it seemed to work), simple math (Math U See when they were ready) and handwriting (Handwriting without tears).
    My youngest is 5 (and my only boy) and I'm amazed at what he picks up from sitting in on our 'together school'! The thing we're working on with him now is pencil grip (he 'fists' his writing utensil). We wont start really 'doing school' for another yr or so though we MAY start some informal stuff over the summer (more LeapFrog videos and simple math)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you and I think alike. I see so many folks who load so much on 5 and 6 year olds and that may very well work for them. I like a slow pace to the finish line. Thanks for stopping by my blog!!

      Delete